Our Spring season begins with our first seeds sown on February 1st. Throughout the early Winter and Spring, we are hard at work seeding, potting, and watering our hanging baskets, flowering annuals, vegetable plants, and fragrant herbs throughout our eight greenhouses. We are also continuing to expand select perennial offerings.
Greenhouse season culminates in a fast and furious 6 week period of deliveries to our customers - starting approximately mid April with Pansies, Poppies, Ranunculus, and Cole Crops and finishing around Memorial Day with ample choices to fill out your flower and vegetable gardens.
Specialty Cut Flowers
From mid June until early October, we are picking over 40 distinct varieties of flowers and foliage from our fields and greenhouse. The field season starts with fragrant Snapdragons, stately Delphinium, and cheerful Icelandic Poppies amongst other hardy annuals like Bells of Ireland, Larkspur, and Stock. As we progress throughout the season, colors grow bolder in the form of Zinnias, Sunflowers, and varied plume and cockscomb Celosias. We finish the field season with a vast offering of Dahlias of all forms and colors. In addition to flowers, we also grow fragrant and colorful herbs and foliages, such as Mint, Sweet Annie, Coleus, Lemon Mint (Bee Balm), and Scented Geranium, just to name a few.
All of our varieties in production are carefully selected for specific traits such as Form, Color, and Vase Life. Some flowers like Poppies and Dinnerplate Dahlias are best used only in event work as they can be quite ephemeral.
Our favorite crops are Anemone, Ranunculus, Peonies, Lisianthus, and Dahlias and most of our growing space is currently devoted to these special blooms.
Why Locally Grown
Our cut flowers have many advantages over imported material:
- They were picked at the right stage of development and conditioned properly within 24 hours of delivery, arriving to you fully hydrated and ready to use.
- The choices are many. Flowers that don't stand up to the rigors of shipping are often not easy to obtain through traditional channels. Buying flowers from the farm not only gives you access to the freshest possible product, but it also affords you the ability to choose uncommon, heirloom, or otherwise unique flowers and foliage that capture the essence of our abundant New England season.
- Our flowers possess a minimal carbon footprint (they didn't require a plane and multiple refrigerated truck rides to arrive in your hands).
- Our flowers are grown and processed without the use of synthetic pesticides and fungicides, meaning that the product you receive from us has no chemical residue.
- Our flowers are harvested by a team member that was compensated fairly for their efforts in a clean and safe work environment.
Fill your gardens with our flowering annuals, vegetables, and herbs and enjoy a colorful and plentiful growing season of your own. Though annuals only bloom until the first frost, they provide continuous color and impact in a perennial border or window box. Regular fertilization and watering ensures the best results. We thoughtfully choose varieties that we personally love and plant in our own gardens to set our customers and end consumers up for success.